As I explore a more natural and healthy diet, I have encountered numerous companies that make products that I have previously never heard of or used. Hemp Hearts is one of those products. Before this year, I couldn’t tell you what a Hemp heart was or why people ate them. Now I find ways to use them every week.
Manitoba Harvest was started by a man who wanted to live a healthier lifestyle and wanted his body to feel complete and whole. Hemp hearts taste kind of nutty and can be added to pretty much anything. You can sprinkle them on cereal, yogurt, salads, oatmeal and more. Or you can blend them into your favorite smoothie!
What is in Hemp? What’s in it?
Hemp is a complete vegetarian protein.
Contains the closest ideal ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3s.
Contains the rare Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) & Stearodonic Acid (SDA).
Packed full of fiber, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamins and minerals.
Manitoba Harvest sent me their Organic Hemp Hearts. They produce both natural and certified organic hemp hearts, but they are not that different. The organic one is certified, but the natural hemp hearts have not been genetically modified, nor do they contain any additives, preservatives, fillers, or artificial ingredients. By themselves, the hemp hearts have a nutty taste. They come ready to be eaten, which means that you can sit down with a bag and have a great snack. Of course they taste great added to salad or mixed into a smoothie. Take hemp seeds with you on a hike, maybe add them into your trail mix.
I was also sent some samples of their protein powder, which I made smoothies with. Just toss some water or milk with fresh fruits and/or veggies and pour in some hemp protein powder. Yummy!
Manitoba Harvest is different than other hemp companies in that they are the world’s largest hemp food manufacturers that grow, make, and sell their own line of hemp foods. You can also find tons of recipes on their website, so you can incorporate hemp into any meal. You can find their products at a local health food store or just buy them online.
I decided to put the Hemp Hearts to the test by adding them to some no back cookie bars. The recipe was inspired through Pinterest desserts, but I made it my own!
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- dash of vanilla extract (optional)
- dash of almond extract (optional)
- 3½ cups oats
- 2-3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Heat the coconut oil, honey and peanut butter on the stove until smooth and well blended.
- Take off the heat then add a dash of vanilla and almond extracts if you want. Mix it in.
- Add in the oats and hemp hearts until blended.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Do not over-mix or the chocolate will melt.
- Press the mixture into a glass Pyrex and place it in the refrigerator to set for a couple of hours.
- Once it hardens you can cut it into squares and serve immediately, but place any leftovers back into the fridge or else it will soften.
You can buy the Organic Hemp Hearts online along with their other products.